Bed Wetting is for Adults Also
A health article from Your Health Online the A to Z directory of dealing with Health Problems & nutritional Self Care Strategies
Yes, you read it right. You may never know it, but adults are prone to wet nights—not those associated with male discharges. What is being referred here is the type of condition that is more common to children, which is bed wetting or enuresis.
This condition occurs when a person, young or adult, urinates during sleep. Studies have shown that roughly 2 percent of adults within the age range of 16 and 60 wet the bed a couple of night every week.
Of course, adult enuresis is very embarrassing.
It is enough reason to get teased by friends and colleagues and to shun friendships, relationships, and enjoyable activities in life.
However, adult bed wetters must recognize the fact that they have the condition and need to seek medical help.
The first step in properly dealing with adult enuresis is determining its possible causes.
* Stress. Stressful situations and emotional struggles may cause a person to pee during his sleep. There are ways to manage stress and control enuresis.
These include listening to music, performing relaxation and breathing techniques, or engaging in sports and physically challenging activities.
* Natural aging process. As people age, their body deteriorates. This leads to slower movements and reflexes. Thus, the older an adult gets, his urinary control decreases.
* Fluid intake. Drinking excessive amounts of liquid just before hitting the sack may cause a person to wet his bed.
* Coffee, tea, and alcohol. Coffee, tea, soda, and other beverages with caffeine content trigger production of more urine in the body. Alcohol, for its part, makes the control in the bladder muscle weaker. Avoid these drinks especially at night to keep yourself from wetting the bed.
* Diuretic medications. There are drugs that can trigger enuresis. For example diuretics are taken to prevent heart failure caused by kidney problems. However, taking the drug can take its toll on your urination control at night.
* Anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) imbalance. ADH controls the release of urine by the urinary system. If the body lacks this hormone, chances are the person will experience wet nights.
* Urinary tract infection (UTI). UTI can cause problems in releasing urine from the body especially during sleep. A tumor or swelling in the lower urinary tract can also cause involuntary wetting at night.
So what’s the best thing to do if you are prone to wetting the bed? First, you can train your bladder to empty urine at particular time intervals.
Pelvic muscle exercises are a good way to be able to control urination at nighttime. This workout, which makes the bladder muscles stronger, must be done two to three times every day for at least four weeks.
If you are taking diuretic drugs, take them during the day or at least eight hours before bedtime. Visit your doctor to find out the medication options you have to be able to cure enuresis.
Controlling adult bed wetting is no different from that of children. The only difference is that you are in charge of your own body (not your parent), so be careful when considering the different treatment options available for your condition.
Learn more about this subject here at your health online page that fully details the causes, symptoms, treatments and self help home remedy options for: Bed Wetting
BACK TO “Your Health Online”
the A to Z directory of dealing with Health Problems & Self Care Strategies for natural remedies to your health issues.
Even when we try to eat well, we're disadvantaged. The nutritional content of most food has been compromised over the years, not only by deficient soils and modern production, transportation, storage and processing methods, but also by the enormous amounts of chemical and artificial substances added to promote growth, storage life, taste and appearance.
It's for this reason that more and more medical authorities are advocating the use of vitamin and mineral supplements. However, finding them in the right combination can be both confusing and costly.
The nutrition products I am going to recommend you make use of knowledge gained from the botanical world's 6,000 year history. They incorporated health building nutritional herbs with the best modern technology to help our bodies cleanse and detoxify so that the cells - the tiniest living units - can be as fully nourished as possible.
This allows the cells to grow, repair and to perform their functions with the best possible efficiency so that we feel and look better and are more able to prevent and fight disease. Once the body begins to clear itself of toxins it can more efficiently absorb nutrition.
Further reading through our articles on health issues will give you a body of information that will help you decide what options you have to deal with the underlying causes of your problem through giving your body the nutrition products that will assist you body to heal from the inside out.
You can visit our health food products page here: Herbalife Health Nutrition Supplements and learn more about our core nutrition program, the Cellular Nutrition Advanced Program and also check out these targeted products, Florafiber to replace your healthy flora and Aloe Vera Juice to help cleanse your system.
We wish you well in your search for solutions to this problem and your movement towards better health in all areas.