OPTIMUM NUTRITION - for the active body
by Carole Crossley
(Ballarat, Vic, Australia)
OPTIMAL NUTRITION - for the active body
By Heather Livingston, M.Sc.,
Herbalife provides high quality nutrition that feeds the body, is easy to use and tastes great. For over 20 years we have helped people all over the world manage their weight.
Herbalife can also help athletes and active people reach their fuel requirements. The science of sports nutrition is complex and often confusing. But it can be simplified to four basic components.
10 POINTS TO BETTER NUTRITION
1. Your body works a lot like a car. It needs fuel to function effectively.
· Your muscle cells function similarly to a fuel tank
· Stored carbohydrates serve as a rapid source of fuel
· Eat carbohydrate-rich foods prior to your workout to reduce the drain on your body’s stored energy.
2. The most effective way to fuel up your body is with energy-rich nutrients.
· Eat a large meal four to six hours before you work out
· Eat a lighter meal two to three hours before physical activity
· Grab a snack 30 minutes prior to exercise
· If you’re an athlete, 50 to 60 percent of your diet should be made up of carbohydrates.
3. Recharge your battery.
· Refuel during workouts that are more than 30 minutes in length
· Drink fluids that have simple carbohydrates.
4. Tap into your reserve fuel tank for extended bouts of physical activity
· Your body begins to burn fat as fuel (“in the flame of carbohydrates”) after about 18 to 20 minutes of aerobic exercise (long to moderate distance)
5. Hydrate, hydrate and re-hydrate
· It is imperative to replenish the liquids you lose when working out
· While exercising, be sure to drink fluids every 10 minutes
· Don’t wait until your thirsty to drink fluids.
6. Protein is key in muscle maintenance and growth
· Your body must receive adequate amounts of protein to function properly and repair damaged tissue
· Be sure your body receives the recommended daily protein requirements: 1.0 t0 2.0 grams per kilogram body weight (1.25-1.5 grams/kg for “ball” sports such as tennis, golf, soccer and baseball and 1.5-2.0 grams/kg for more extreme sports such as, marathon running and body building.
7. Protein Vs. Carbohydrates.
· Carbohydrates are instant fuel for the muscles
· Protein assists recovery and repair, helping damaged muscles maintain muscle mass and increase girth when combined with overload training.
8. Maximising your fuelling and refuelling efforts.
· Be sure to eat a carbohydrate-rich food within in 30 minutes of completing your exercise regimen
· Take in easily digestible carbohydrates, which are converted into glucose and stored in the muscles as glycogen (quick fuel).
9. Keys to reducing recovery time
· Adequate protein
· Antioxidant nutrients
· Adequate fluid
10. Use Supplementation to your advantage.
· Vitamin and minerals help assist the body’s chemical reactions and regulatory processes.
· Antioxidant nutrients may help you reduce your recovery time.
· Supplements are especially beneficial for athletes susceptible to decreased immune systems.
FUELLING UP WITH HERBALIFE
Whether you’re an athlete gearing up for a big race or a “weekend warrior” playing on a softball league, your body needs the right “fuel” to function efficiently. Help your body perform at its peak and get the desired results you’re looking for by following the suggestions below
*Pre Exercise -Formula 1 Protein Drink mixed in Juice
During Exercise - Hydrate every 10 minutes (or more)
Mix Herbal Aloe Drink in water or Thermojetics Instant Herbal Beverage.
If over 30 minutes, mix diluted amounts of Formula 1 into your favourite beverage
Post –Exercise - Formula 1 Protein Drink mixed in juice
(Within 30 minutes)
Recovery and Repair - Formula 1 Protein Drink mix with added Thermojetics Performance Protein Powder (based on body weight)
Recovery and - Xtra-Cal, RoseOx, Herbalifeline
When fat loss is - Only Herbal Aloe Concentrate and follow desired remaining regimen
starting from the “During Exercise” category shown here
As part of your daily routine, use other Herbalife products as recommended
WELL-BEING FOR THE ACTIVE BODY POWERED BY SPORTS NUTRITION
Whether you need to lose weight, gain muscle, want more stamina or are looking to improve your athletic performance, your body needs nutrients to deliver optimum results.
Optimum Nutrition, the foundation of Herbalife’s wellness philosophy, is designed to address these specific concerns. This scientifically advanced nutrition is the reason why people who use our products say they “feel” the Herbalife difference.
When you provide your body’s cells with the nutrition they need, you enable your body to function at its very best. As a result, your metabolism improves, you lose weight quickly and easily, you feel more balanced, your immune system is supported, stamina levels soar and your active body can stay active longer.
To do all that, is as easy as Formulas 1, 2 – with a foundation of Basic Optimum Nutrition.
BASIC OPTIMUM NUTRITION
Product: Formula 1 – Protein Drink Mix
Key Benefits: - Contains 9 grams of heart-healthy soy protein and added carbohydrates for quick stamina.
Product: - Multivitamin Complex – contains 20 essential nutrients & antioxidants for daily nutritional support
Add these products to your basic Optimum Nutrition to give you the performance you demand.
Reach Your Peak Performance – Naturally!
This chart features Herbalife products that offer fitness and stamina support and highlights the key benefits of each one.
ACTIVE BODY / ATHLETES ESSENTIALS
Optimum Nutrition Plus
Key Benefits: Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids to support the proper functioning of the heart.
Product: Thermojetics Protein Powder
Key Benefits: Feed your body the proper balance of protein to keep your weight loss on track
with this supplemental powder.
Key Benefits: Helps to promote skeletal health and strong bones.
Key Benefits: A self-regenerating antioxidant derived from the culinary herb rosemary.