Liver Spots Cause, Symptoms, Treatment
Back to Top of your health online page
A health article fromYour Health Online the A to Z directory of dealing with Health Problems & nutritional Self Care Strategies
Liver spots are flat brown-black spots that usually occur in sun-exposed areas of the body. They are also called age spots. They are unrelated to the liver or liver function.
Alternate Names : Age Spots, Lentigos, Senile Lentigines, Skin Spots - Aging, Sun-Induced Skin Changes - Liver Spots
Solar lentigo is the medical term for liver spots.
Cause of Liver Spots
Liver spots are changes in skin color associated with older skin. The increased pigmentation may be brought on by aging, exposure to sun or other forms of ultraviolet light, or other unknown causes.
Liver spots are extremely common after the age of 40. They occur most often on the backs of the hands, on the forearms, shoulder, face, and forehead, areas of highest sun exposure.
They are harmless and painless, but they may affect the cosmetic appearance. Occasionally, liver spots may obscure the diagnosis of skin cancers.
Diagnosis of Liver Spots
You can diagnose age spots yourself by their appearance. If you are concerned about changes in your skin, contact your doctor. He or she can do tests to rule out other diseases.
Treatment of Liver Spots
No treatment is needed in most cases. The cosmetic appearance of your skin may be improved by the use of skin bleaching lotions or creams. Cryotherapy (freezing) or laser treatment may be recommended to destroy the liver spots.
Try out Some Homemade remedies for Liver Spots
1. Apple cider vinegar Combine two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with one teaspoon of orange juice and apply to the spots, preferably on a cloth or cotton pad that is secured to the area.
2. Lemon juice Dab some fresh lemon juice on the spots twice daily. If you are going outdoors, wait for the juice to dry as it increases the skin's sensitivity to sunlight. It may take a few months, but the acidity in the juice will cause the spots to fade away.
3. Buttermilk Dab buttermilk on the spots. The lactic acid and other ingredients in the milk are beneficial to the skin. Buttermilk has been used for generations as a skin cleanser and as a beauty aid.
Prevention of Liver Spots
Protect your skin from the sun by taking the following precautions:
• Wear protective clothing such as hats, long-sleeved shirts, long skirts, or pants.
• Use sunglasses to protect the eyes.
• Sunlight is most intense at midday, so try to avoid exposure during these hours.
• Use high quality sunscreens, preferably with SPF (sun protection factor) ratings of at least 15. Apply sunscreen at least a half hour before exposure, and reapply frequently. Use sunscreen in the winter, too.
Even when we try to eat well, we're disadvantaged. The nutritional content of most food has been compromised over the years, not only by deficient soils and modern production, transportation, storage and processing methods, but also by the enormous amounts of chemical and artificial substances added to promote growth, storage life, taste and appearance.
It's for this reason that more and more medical authorities are advocating the use of vitamin and mineral supplements. However, finding them in the right combination can be both confusing and costly.
The nutrition products I am going to recommend you make use of knowledge gained from the botanical world's 6,000 year history. They incorporated health building nutritional herbs with the best modern technology to help our bodies cleanse and detoxify so that the cells - the tiniest living units - can be as fully nourished as possible.
This allows the cells to grow, repair and to perform their functions with the best possible efficiency so that we feel and look better and are more able to prevent and fight disease. Once the body begins to clear itself of toxins it can more efficiently absorb nutrition.
Further reading through our articles on health issues will give you a body of information that will help you decide what options you have to deal with the underlying causes of your problem through giving your body the nutrition products that will assist you body to heal from the inside out.
You can visit our health food products page here: Herbalife Health Nutrition Supplements and learn more about our core nutrition program, the Cellular Nutrition Advanced Program and also check out these targeted products, Florafiber to replace your healthy flora and Aloe Vera Juice to help cleanse your system.
We wish you well in your search for solutions to this problem and your movement towards better health in all areas.
BACK TO “Your Health Online”
the A to Z directory of dealing with Health Problems & Self Care Strategies for natural remedies to your health issues.
Subscribe to “Your Health Success” newsletter